Wednesday 9 January 2013

Would You Try Yoga?

Hi readers,

Today I want to tell you about my Yoga class!

If you are looking for a new way to get fit but hate feeling as if you're sweating like a pig in sh*t then I would highly recommend trying yoga.

There are different types of yoga including Bikram, Vinyasa and Kundalini to name a few, but we do 'Hatha Yoga' in class. It's very flowy, spiritual and there's some meditation involved (which I loved).

There was about 8 people in class most of them were quite old tbh! I expected it to be full of young women however my friend and I were the youngest there. 

We began by doing a gentle warm up then learned some poses. The only one I remember the name of is 'Cobra' you basically lie facedown on the floor and put your hands by your side and lift your head up so you are stretching your back, it felt good! 

We did a lot of balancing, holding quite difficult poses (even at beginner level they are quite challenging) and floor work. Everything flows nicely though and you learn some breathing techniques to go along with it.

At the end of class we all lay down on our mats with a pillow and blanket and the teacher turns the lights out (you will receive a medal if you manage not to giggle at this point!) and we are led through a lovely guided meditation.

Even though it felt very strange at first I actually got really into it and when I got home I felt really calm, positive and revitalised.

Here are some of the benefits of yoga:


Here are some yoga video's if you fancy trying it at home. 







Have you tried Yoga, or is it something you already do? 

With love,
Carly

5 comments:

  1. When I was in college working on my masters degree, I lived in an apartment next to a yoga place. Some of the people going in, as well as the instructors, tried to talk me into taking some classes. Back then, I was too cool to do that. What a mistake. I wish I had done it and learned Yoga. I hope to be able to remedy this one day as I think Yoga would be very helpful to me.

    http://www.hoohaablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can learn now, or maybe attend a local class? If anything I think it's great for improving your self esteem and just makes you feel healthy and happy. You should try it and let me know how you get on :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying a little bit of yoga lately too - so good for you.

    Thanks for linking up :)

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yoga is the best! lately though, I have not been able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do yoga regularly. I love it a lot(although lately I've been focusing a lot more on breathing and meditation). I once went to a place where the instructor spoke no english. My friend and I were giggling the whole time through, trying to figure out what we were supposed to do. He sure gave us a workout, regardless!

    There are few exercises that unite your mind and body like yoga can, and it makes you feel really good afterwards (the high you can get from a good yoga class is like nothing else. I can certainly feel that when the class is good!)

    xo
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete