Sunday 13 January 2013

Are You Shampooing Your Hair Properly?




Hi Guys,

Today I wanted to write a post with some helpful tips on shampooing the hair. You may be thinking "yeah I know how to shampoo my hair, I do it all the time! But you would be surprised at how many clients I come across who don't wash their hair right.

If you don't wash your hair properly you eventually end up with a build up of dirt and grease that can make the hair limp and greasy and you may think you have hair that gets greasy quickly when infact if you washed it right your hair would be lovely, full and shiney and you could go a few days between washes. (This obviously doesn't apply to everyone because some people have over active sebaceous glands that produces too much oil on the scalp making the hair look greasy.)

I'm training to be a hairdresser (I only have until June until i'm qualified, yipee!) and the first thing we study is the structure of the hair and how shampooing and conditioning affects the hair. So I thought I would share some of what I have learned so you have a better understanding of what happens when you shampoo your hair :).

So basically the hair shaft resembles little fish scales. This is called the cuticle, and when you wash the hair the shampoo lifts those fish scales up ever so slightly and all the dirt and grease on your hair clings to the shampoo, then washes off the hair when the shampoo is rinsed off.



There are different shampoo's for different hair types and it's helpful if you can identify your hair type and use the right shampoo for you. For instance if your hair is quite coarse from using too many heated styling tools or bleaching the hair then you want to get a moisturising shampoo. If you have flat hair you want to be using a volumizing shampoo. I personally love the  VO5 RANGE if you are on a budget. If not, then Wella is what we use in the salon and it's fantastic.

So now you know a little bit about how shampooing works, I'll give you a step by step guide on how to shampoo the hair properly.

1. Wet hair fully

2. Squeeze a walnut size blob of shampoo onto your hand

3. Run your hands through the length of the hair from root to tip spreading the shampoo evenly

4. Using a firm pressure* (obviously not hurting yourself though) rub the scalp in small, fast circles using the pads of your fingers, work all over the head and include the length and ends of the hair. Your hair probably won't lather that well at this point but that's ok it's not supposed to! 

*Note - If you tend to have hair that gets greasy quickly then rub the scalp gently. If you are too hard this stimulates the sebaceous glands that produce oil on the scalp and can leave you with greasy straight away.

5. Rinse shampoo off.

6. Using another blob of shampoo around the same size or smaller repeat the process. - The hair should lather up really really well and this is when the hair is really properly cleaned!

7. Rinse shampoo off and use conditioner if needed. This adds moisture to the hair and closes the fish scales so they all lay flat. This leaves your hair lovely and shiney! :)

Like this .. 



:D

I'm going to be talking about blow drying the hair soon as well, so if you want to find out some useful tips then follow me! :)

Did you learn something from these tips or did you do it right all along? If you have any hair questions feel free to ask me in the comments below.

Until next time..

Carly x






8 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this post! I've been obsessing over my hair ever since winter started (the cold air seems to be making my hair extra extra dry!) so I'll definitely be looking forward to these kinda posts.

    Also, I think I over shampoo! I often repeat the shampoo-ing process quite a bit, because I just HATE having dirty greasy hair. But shampooing repeatedly dries it out so much I'm ending up having to deep condition it too often :S

    Denise || ispasiyo . com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,

      I'm glad you enjoyed this post!

      You might find that if you have your central heating on in the house a lot, it can dry out your hair too! Maybe you should invest in a leave in conditioner, you can get some great ones that don't leave your hair greasy but keeps it moisturised during the day.

      x

      Delete
  2. This is an excellent post Carly. I have really thick hair that is quite frizzy and temperamental with heat. I will try your washing tips and use a more suitable shampoo. Thank you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Let me know if it works for you :) Stay tuned for my post on blow drying! I love your blog btw! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there any shampoos and conditioners that helps straighten the hair and makes it more manageable? Every time I hop out of the shower and dry it with a towel just by scrubbing it (Not sure if that's the proper way to do it).

    A few minutes later, I end up with a fuzzy afro that regardless of how many times I brush, I just can't get it to settle and I'm pretty much forced to wet it again before using wax to style it whenever I go out.

    And I was also wondering if there are any good hairstyles for a guy like me. A manly man of manliness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there,

      first of all try not to scrub your hair with a towel because this roughs the cuticle and causes more damage than good! Instead gently rub your hair or if it's long enough try and squeeze the water out with a towel.
      It sounds like your hair is quite coarse for it to be tangling so much. I have the same problem and it's a nightmare. Try using a shampoo and conditioner for coarse hair then spray some detangling spray on your hair before you try to comb it through (wide tooth comb is best for wet hair). Another option for long lasting straightening and repair would be a Brazilian Blowdry, we have done a few in the salon and they are fab, but they can be quite pricey.
      I don't know what length your hair is i'm assuming quite long to be having these problems, however I'm loving preppy styles on guys just now http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&tbo=d&rls=en&biw=1280&bih=583&tbm=isch&tbnid=go2GiavT_DdS4M:&imgrefurl=http://ellekinney.wordpress.com/tag/men/&docid=Q3AmQs9uAXGqLM&imgurl=http://ellekinney.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/nyfw012.jpg&w=500&h=500&ei=_c32UOzYLqKt0QWy7oDwDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=198&vpy=87&dur=384&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=136&ty=98&sig=110670403551192770272&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=132&start=0&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:0,i:151 << oh yes! lol I hope that helped xx

      Delete
  5. This is so great! Love your post, I agree it's so important to wash your hair properly.
    xo
    girlintheyellowdress.com

    ReplyDelete